Multi-Year Accessibility Plan
Accessibility Plan and Policies for Bimeda MTC Animal Health Inc.
This 2014-2021 accessibility plan outlines the policies and actions that Bimeda MTC Animal Health Inc. will put in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities.
Bimeda is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Workplace Emergency Response Information
Bimeda is committed to providing the customers and clients with publicly available emergency information in an accessible way upon request. We will also provide employees with disabilities with individualized emergency response information when necessary.
Bimeda will take the following steps to ensure employees are provided with emergency response information by January 1, 2015:
- Individualized workplace emergency response information will be provided to employees who have a disability, if the disability is such that the individualized information is necessary, and if Bimeda is aware of the need for accommodation due to the employee’s disability, Bimeda will provide this information as soon as is practicable after becoming aware of the need for accommodation.
- Where the employee requires assistance, Bimeda will, with the consent of the employee, provide the workplace emergency response information to the person designated by Bimeda to provide assistance to the employee.
- Bimeda will review the individualized workplace emergency response information when the employee moves to a different location in the organization and when the employee’s overall accommodations needs or plans are reviewed. Completed and on-going.
Bimeda will provide training to employees, volunteers and other staff members on Ontario’s accessibility laws and on the Human Rights Code as it relates to people with disabilities. Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of employees, volunteers and other staff members.
Bimeda will take the following steps to ensure employees are provided with the training needed to meet Ontario’s accessible laws by January 1, 2015:
- Develop and implement the necessary training materials.
- Ensure training is provided before or as soon as possible after commencement of employment.
- Keep and maintain records of training provided.
Action: We were unable to locate training records from 2015. Steps have been taken to train all employees on both the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) & AODA and the AODA & IASR. Training is targeted to be completed by November 30, 2019. Complete training records will be submitted on December 2, 2019.
Information and Communications
Accessible Websites and Web Content
Bimeda is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. We will consult with people with disabilities to determine their information and communication needs.
Bimeda’s current website is compliant to WCAG 2.0, Level A.
Bimeda will take the following steps to make all new websites and content on those sites conform to WCAG 2.0, Level AA by January 1, 2021:
- A review is underway of the required changes that need to be made to the website by January 1, 2021.
Bimeda is committed to conducting a review of all feedback processes across the organization, both internally and externally, to ensure that processes are accessible to persons with disabilities by providing or arranging for accessible formats and communications supports upon request by January 1, 2015.
Bimeda will take the following steps to ensure existing feedback processes are accessible to people with disabilities upon request by January 1, 2015:
- Any feedback is encouraged and directed to the HR Manager either by telephone, in person, in writing or by email.
- Action: The Bimeda Canada website includes information to contact the Human Resources Manager for a copy of the AODA policy and plan in an accessible format that is suitable to the individual making the request. The link can be found at the bottom of the website under AODA and under the contacts link.
Bimeda is committed to fair and accessible employment practices to all its prospective and current employees. As a result, we are committed to working towards meeting the legislative requirements as it relates to preventing and removing barriers to accessibility in the workplace and providing everyone, including employees and representatives with disabilities access to the same opportunities.
Bimeda will ensure that all employment standards meet accessibility requirements by January 1, 2016. We are working towards taking the following steps in three major areas of employment standards: Recruitment, Accommodations for Staff and Performance Management, Career Development and Redeployment.
Human Resources at Bimeda is committed to notifying its staff members and the public about the availability of accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process.
We will take the following steps to notify the public and staff that, when requested, Bimeda will accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired:
- Review and modify existing recruitment, assessment and selection processes and procedures. Completed.
- Job postings will be amended informing applicants that the posting is available in an accessible format if required. Completed.
- Job postings will be amended informing applicants that if accommodation is required during the interview, it is available upon request (using the language below). Completed.
- Pre screening questions on our career site will be amended informing applicants that if accommodation is required during the interview, it is available upon request. The language will be as follows:
“Bimeda is committed to providing a barrier-free workplace. Do you require accommodation during the selection/interview process of which we should be aware? ◊Yes ◊ No
If yes, please describe required accommodation:” Completed.
- Human Resources will notify job applicants, when they are individually selected to participate further in an assessment or selection process that accommodations are available upon request in relation to the material or processes to be used. Completed.
- If a selected applicant requests an accommodation, Bimeda will consult with the applicant and provide, or arrange for the provision of, a suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs due to disability. Completed.
- When making offers of employment, Bimeda will notify the successful applicant of its policies for accommodating employees with disabilities. Completed.
- Develop and provide training to colleagues responsible for recruitment, assessment, selection and on-boarding to ensure compliance with accommodation. Completed.
Accommodations for Employees
Bimeda will ensure that we are creating and following measures for any employee who requires accommodation as a result of a disability.
Bimeda will take the following steps to develop and put in place a process for developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work policies for employees that require accommodation as a result of a disability:
- Bimeda will continue to inform its employees of its policies (and any updates to those policies) used to support employees with disabilities, including policies on the provision of job accommodations that take into account staff member’s accessibility needs due to disability. This information will be provided to new employees as soon as practicable after commencing employment. Completed and on-going.
- Upon request of an employee or representative with a disability, Bimeda will consult with the employee to provide, or arrange for the provision of, accessible formats and communication supports for information that is needed to perform his/her job, and information that is generally available to other employees, including information as it relates to conducting performance management, providing career development and advancement to employees, or when redeploying employees. Completed and on-going.
- In determining the suitability of an accessible format or communication support, Bimeda will consult with the employee making the request.
- Make employees aware of Bimeda ’s duty to make a workplace accessible under AODA with the following language in a poster to be placed on the Health & Safety Board
“The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act is legislation aimed at making workplaces and businesses more accessible for individuals living with a disability in Ontario. Bimeda is committed to removing barriers for our employees living with a disability.
If you have a disability that could benefit from accommodation the workplace, please contact Human Resources to fill out an accommodation request form. Completed.
Implement an “Accommodation Request Form”. Include in the employee training session. Completed.
Return to Work Process
Bimeda maintains documented return to work process for its employees who have been absent from work due to a disability and who require disability-related accommodations in order to return to work. The return to work process outlines the steps Bimeda will take to facilitate the return to work and will include documented individual accommodation plans as part of the process.
This return to work process will not replace or override any other return to work process created by or under any other statue (ie: Workplace Safety Insurance Act, 1997).
Bimeda will take the following steps to develop and put in place a process for return to work process:
- Review and modify the Return to work policy and process. Completed.
- Develop and provide training to managers and other colleagues responsible for supporting the return to work process. Completed.
Performance Management, Career Development and Redeployment
We will take the following steps to ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities needs are taken into account if Bimeda is using performance management, career development and redeployment processes:
- Review and modify existing performance management, career development and redeployment processes to ensure that accessibility needs of employees are met. Completed and on-going.
- Develop and provide training to managers and other colleagues who are involved in performance management, career development and redeployment processes to ensure compliance with processes. Completed and on-going.
For more information
For more information on this accessibility plan, please contact Laura Incitti, Human Resources Manager at:
- Phone: (519) 654-8017
Accessible formats of this document are available free upon request from:
Human Resources Manager
Phone: 519 654-8017
Source: Ministry of Community and Social Services